What is FEES?
Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallow (FEES) is an objective assessment of a patient's swallow function. It utilizes a flexible endoscope with camera to assess swallow function and visualize penetration or aspiration of food and liquids into the airway in real time.
FEES vs. MBS?
It is the preferred assessment method over Modified Barium Swallow studies (MBS) in certain cases. Reasons FEES may be the more clinically appropriate objective swallow study:
- FEES is much more interactive and can include biofeedback by having the patient watch while they swallow
- There is no radiation exposure with FEES
- There is no need to wait for patient to be cleared from isolation precautions
- FEES is ideal for patients who are vent dependent
- When there are concerns over the ramifications of aspiration of barium
- FEES allows for assessment of fatigue and swallow status over the course of a meal and multiple consistencies
- There is need for an assessment that can examine the efficacy of many different compensatory strategies and food/liquid consistencies
- When direct visualization of the vocal folds and laryngeal/pharyngeal structures is needed to assess for trauma and/or neurological damage – this also may facilitate justification for other referrals to ENT or GI doctors
- When there are size or positioning restrictions, this test is ideal for bariatric patients, patients with kyphosis, tremors, etc
Why is FEES the clear choice?
Jessica Lasky has developed Mobile Scope to help ensure that patients are provided with the proper care. She is a Speech Language Pathologist who has been practicing in the state of Arizona since 2011. She has worked in both out-patient and in-patient settings including SNF, acute rehab, community hospitals and trauma 1 hospitals. She works predominantly with the adult and geriatric populations. Her specialties include post-CVA, trach/vent, TBI, neurodegenerative diseases, and failure to thrive populations. Jessica completed the course work to become FEES competent in 2012 and has been performing these assessments in many different settings since. She is a highly skilled and caring person who will work thoroughly to make sure the patient gets the care that they need.
Why should you choose Mobile Scope?
- Completion of FEES within 3 business days of receiving order
- Facility will receive full report same day as well as a disc with the study on it
- Collaboration with staff and clinicians before and after study
- No “down time” while patient is out of the facility for MBS
- Primary treating SLP can be present during FEES study and bill time for treatment thus increasing productivity and treatment time